Is it Fall Yet?
Halloween Mode Continued

Looking Sharp!

I was testing a swatch of poly fabric I recently purchased at Hobby Lobby and thought as long as I'm testing, might as well make something with the swatch, provided it sublimated well.

I'd wanted to make a new pincushion for my sewing area; one that was heavy enough to not move or fall off my table.  Most that I currently own are stuffed with polyfil which doesn't provide enough "weight" to the pincushion.  So now I just needed an image to sublimate. 

One would think that there would be a plethora of porcupine images in the wonderful world of the internet but evidently that's not the case.

The pincushion project I had in mind required just one little ol' image of a porcupine.  After an exhaustive search, I finally found one but it was black and white.

Since I had to use a black and white image, I had to change out my original fabric choices for ones that would coordinate better.  I used a stripe to create cording around the edges of the pincushion giving it a more finished look.  For the back, I went through my scrap bin and found a scrap of cherry fabric in the perfect colors!  I made the cording and sewed it to the front piece.  I then placed the cherry fabric, wrong side up over the corded piece and sewed the sides up  leaving a 3" opening to be able to turn the pincushion right side out.  (I did use a shorter stitch length to sew because of the type of filler I was using).

I used crushed walnut shells for the filling (a no-no for anyone with nut allergies).  I like that it adds weight, it fills in the corners of the pincushion nicely, and keeps my pins sharp!  Using a small funnel and inserting it into the 3" opening, I filled to the top.  I then closed the opening by hand using needle and thread.

Voila!  A new pincushion for my sewing room!

That's all for now!  Til next time, keep krafting!




Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.